Museum-Art Gallery

Il Palazzo Apostolico, sede del museo

Museum-Art Gallery

The Museum-Art Gallery of the Shrine is located on the upper floors of the west wing of the Apostolic Palace. It was established at the end of the 19th century with objects and paintings coming mainly from the Apostolic Palace and the Basilica, and also includes some detached frescos. Outstanding among the various objects are some estimable canvases by Lorenzo Lotto, a fine collection of Renaissance ceramics and 10 Raphaelesque tapestries

Maioliche da farmacia

Majolicas from Pharmacy

The collection of ancient apothecary pottery of the Holy House, considered one of the finest of the genre, is made up of a core group of 350 specimens, coming from the workshop of Orazio Fontana (+1571), to which was added, in 1631, a collection of vases, 111 pieces, purchased at the workshop of the facts Patanazzi all stained with biblical and mythological scenes, dating back to Ovid's Metamorphoses, the history of Greek, Sicilian and Roman. A third collection contains several specimens acquired over the years, including four "jars" by Francesco Antonio Grue (1686-1746).

Lorenzo Lotto

Lorenzo Lotto

The paintings on panel or canvas, are almost all religious subjects and come from the altar of the basilica. Most of them were built in the second half of the sixteenth century (Antonio da Faenza, Francesco Menzocchi, Jerome Muziano, Felice Damiani, Federico Zuccari) others spread over a period of time ranging from the seventeenth to the twentieth century (Guido Reni, Philip Bellini, Simon Vouet, Antonio Zanchi, Giuseppe Maria Crespi, Sebastiano Conca, Francesco Foschi, Cesare Maccari). The collection also includes some frescoes by Pellegrino Tibaldi and Cristoforo Roncalli.

Visiting hours

Open every day
from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Free admission